While some of our English Learners have only recently arrived in the US, others have been here for several years and many were born here. Of the 8,000 students who qualify for English Learner services:
32% of Minneapolis Public School students call a language other than English their home language. The top four languages spoken, other than English, are Spanish, Somali, Hmong, and Oromo. All together, over 90 different languages are spoken in Minneapolis Public Schools.
Not all of our Spanish-speaking, Somali-speaking, Hmong-speaking, or Oromo-speaking students are English Learners. For example, around 80% of all Spanish speaking students in Minneapolis Public Schools are English Learners but the remaining 20% are not.